“What is Google Glass?”, you are wondering….
Well it’s been nearly a year since Google opened up their Glass Explorer Program application for a ‘Wearable Computer’ or ‘Human Interface Computer’, yes the days of the future are closer than ever.
Glass allows you to live an augmented reality, in the NOW. Meaning the information and interaction you have with the Glass experience it profoundly happening in front of your face, at least through one eyeball. It allows you to discover people nearby through an application called IceBreaker, catch up on your favorite news, do direct messages, interact (as of May 2013) Facebook, Twitter, Path and tumblr. Get updates from your local area through Google Local as well as fashion and news sources like Elle Magazine, New York Tims and CNN. Maintain your life, journals, notes and much more with Evernote.
Obviously Google wants to bring technology closer to your life, without getting in your way, this is the them and essence of the message about what Google Glass is to be.
The concept is very simple, broken down in to four guidelines for developers for the BEST User Experience.
- Design for Glass: meaning use the best practices that evolve through the developer community
- Don’t Get in the Way: Developers were cautioned about this because Google Glass essence is to ENHANCE your life and not to let technology get between you and the experience…. notice conferences, classes, events…. they open and 10,000 smart phones and tablets launch in to the air to capture it… yet no one is truly experiencing it… they are looking at the event through their device. Google wants this to get out of the way.
- Keep it Timely: The Glass device pulls data from many sensors to deliver information in a timely manor. This means it can sense that you are in a new area, and it can deliver maps, restaurant suggestions, movie times, tell you if a friend is in the area. But it happens NOW. Conversations in Direct or Instant Message stay threaded and decay or are dismissed in time, like the next day when they are no longer relavant.
- Avoid the Unexpected: Be honest with the consumer, let them pick their best notification times or sources, don’t deliver content that is not relavant, don’t place popup ads or things that will annoy or distract the Glass experience.
FUNNY VIDEO first time user with Google Glass
What can you Do with Google Glass?
The possibilities of what you can do with Google Glass is JUST NOW being ACTUALLY Explored. We’ve seen what Hollywood and Sci-Fi films have suggested for years, but what are some real practical applications you can thing of? I’d love for you to add to my thoughts below in the comments.
I was thinking, from a blogging stand point, the ability to truly have a better experience with Events, Product launches, Interviews… just imagine. You are a Personality Blogger and you are attending a major event, you could use Icebreaker to find the person you want to interview, you can do small interview video clips when you meet with them. They all become part of your Social Media Platforms to tease your followers.
But more than that took photos of key slides, you use Evernote after the presentation and create you interview questions, look up the sites mentioned in the key slide images and then start your post creation. All without touching a tablet or computer….all the content is synched to your Google Account and Evernote, so when you sit down to write your post… its all at your finger tips.
What about HOW TO Videos or Steps? If you are wearing Google Glass you can create, hands free, the dynamic images or video required to produce BETTER Training Segments… the first thing I thought of was from my past… do you know how many greasy pages were in my Chilton repair manual for my mustang or for the many Suzuki GSX-R’s I had? If mechanics or technical schools had Google Glass as a training tool, you could look up information on the fly without going back to class…imagine the teacher training from above the vehicle while the students get the picture or video steps needed for the part they are working on?
Traveling? In many states it is against the LAW to use your phone and drive, even if you are using it as a GPS and Navigation tool at the time… WOW that’s an expensive ticket and good luck talking your way out of it…it rarely happens. But what if you could download a location map to Google Glass (just in case WiFi isn’t there) and then use the GPS to overlay where you are, where you are going and still have turn by turn directions feed to you via auditory, visually or both?
Google Hangouts? Yip the first Look at Google Glass last year was all the guys broadcasting LIVE as they jumped out of an air plane, then got on BMX bikes and cruise through the conference center…. Would you ever Sky Dive, if you are terrified of heights? Well how much of a party pooper you are to your friends? What about a roller coaster for motion sickness or perhaps an underwater version in the future to explore the great barrier reef, you can now join your friends LIVE and not put yourself in mortal LIVING, er I mean Danger.
Think of some uses yourself and ad them to the comments below…. thanks!
Developing for glass
More detailed in formation can be obtained from ‘Developing for Glass’ Video below from the Google I/O 2013 Conference
Thanks Timothy Jordan for a great talk!
Resources – Get to Know More about Google Glass
Technical specifications of Google Glass
- Android 4.0.4 and higher
- No official information about display resolution, 640×360 suggested, as it is recommended for app developers
- 5-megapixel camera, capable of 720p video recording
- Wi-Fi 802.11b/g
- 16GB storage (12 GB available)
- Texas Instruments OMAP 4430 SoC 1.2Ghz Dual(ARMv7) 682MB RAM “proc”
- 3 axis gyroscope
- 3 axis accelerometer
- 3 axis Magnetometer (compass)
- Ambient Light sensing and Proximity sensor
“Always treat others as if their potential has been realized, watch them grow in to their happiness.” ~ William Burdine
Would you like to know how this SITE Earns Money? – CLICK HERE
Latest posts by William Burdine (see all)
- 12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos - 2018/01/30
- Attitude of Gratitude! What are you grateful for? - 2016/11/21
- New Classes For Renatus! - 2016/10/23
- Nathan Tabor – Multi-Family Fix & Flip - 2016/10/23
- Becoming a better man, no tomorrow, steps for today - 2016/07/23